Monday, March 19, 2012

Sad Day

I was hoping to be able to share my Gepanzerte Panzer Grenadier dismount platoon with you all today.  I had finished painting them on Friday and the plan was to varnish them and base them up so I could post today.

However.....

I was bitten yet AGAIN by the dreaded Spray Can Matte Finish Frosting Syndrome.  Yep...my troops looked like they were in a deep freeze in Siberia.

I tried everything I could to rectify the situation like I was able to do with my Brit Infantry stands...all to no avail.  Trying liquid based Matte Varnish didn't work.. Trying liquid based Gloss varnish followed up by liquid Matte varnish didn't work as it had with my Paras.

All the methods did tone it down, but there was significant frosting.

If it was limited to the gray metal helmets or the feldgrau uniforms I could touch those up....but it obscured the Oak Leaf and Pea Dot camo patterns I painted too.

Lesson learned...AGAIN!!!!!  Make sure the temp and the humidity are just right when you spray.  the can and the model should be at the ambient temp of where you spray.

I made 2 mistakes...the can and the model were inside the house which was cooler than outside and there was still some morning dew on the grass.  If I had placed the can and the models outside waited a few hours all would be good.

Sadly, I will have to push the dismounts back in the painting cue after I finish the Halftracks, 2 PzIVH Platoons and the Scout platoon Schwimmwagons.

3 comments:

  1. Man that sucks. I've had the same thing happen so I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Commiserations, I have had the same problem in the past and I can understand that sinking feeling. Varnishing always makes me extremely nervous now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to say it, but I am glad I 'm not the only this has happened too. This is like 4 times now...never again. Brush on varnish followed up by the airbrush from now on.

    Just finished painting the dismounted infantry....and they do look better in most regards than the first batch. Going to use the airbrush and apply flat Matte finish to them tonight and flock them the rest of the week....right on track to share them for the next blog post.

    ReplyDelete