Thursday, May 23, 2013
I did these guys a long time ago, but for some reason I never took pictures of them. Well...that has been rectified!
I used the same techniques and colors as I did with the past few vehicles. The vehicles were all airbrushed with Vallejo Middlestone (882) as a base color and then stripes of Reflective Green (890) were added by hand. I was still new at airbrushing when I did these and wasn't comfortable with airbrushing the green lines at that point. The flag on the Commander's turret was handpainted using 826 German Camo Medium Brown as a base coat and then 957 Flat Red, 951 White and 950 Black. The tracks were painted 950 Black and then a heavy drybrush of 982 Cavalry Brown with a final light drybrush of 863 Gunmetal Grey and a #2 pencil. Then I gloss coated the model, applied decals and a pin wash to bring our the models' details, a little touch up where the pinwash was too heavy and then flat matte coated the model.
I used MIG pigments for the dirty look. When you layer pigments start with the lighter color first as it represents the dried dirt...darker, wetter colors are always on the top and towards the bottom. I applied MIG Pigments to the lower hull using a MIG Fixer and then MIG Europe Dust P028 pigment. When that dried, I started to apply Track Brown (P414) below and on top of the Europe Dust pigment...and heavy in the tracks. This is all the freshly chewed up earth that hasn't had a chance t dry and the upper layers is that dirt/mud that has splashed high and dried. Finally, I applied another coat of MIG Fixer over the pigments I had placed earlier to lock them down really good. When that was dry, I gave it a final Flat Matte finish. Don't be alarmed when you apply fixer or varnish and the pigments get all wet and dark...as they dry they will go back to their true color.
The number decals on the turret were homemade using Testors decal paper. and the crosses are from Battlefront.
Monday, May 6, 2013
I have 13 of these bad boys, but only 3 fully painted. The rest all have their basecoat and camo applied...just have to apply the finishing touches. These 3 however were the lucky winners and were part of my list in the tournament last March....so I had to get these guys D-O-N-E!
I get them all finished and looking purty....only to leave them at home and bring instead 3 of the half painted models.
I know...I know
So its long past time for these guys to burst upon the world in all their glory.
I used the same techniques and colors as I did with the armored AA halftracks. The vehicles were all airbrushed with Vallejo Middlestone (882) as a base color and then stripes of German Camo Medium Brown (826) and Reflective Green (890) were added. I was using my single action airbrush and the stripes were a LITTLE thick, so I had to thin them out by stippling the edges with Middlestone.
The tires were basecoated 950 black and then lighter colors built up with drybrushing ....first 862 Black Grey 836 London Grey then finally 870 Medium Sea Grey.
The fuel cans are 830 German Field Grey as basecoat, 979 German Camo Dark Green as a 1:8 wash and then a mix of 830 German Feldgrau and 886 Green Grey at 1:5 as a hi lite. On one Puma I added an extra can I had left over in my bit bucket.
The number decals on the turret were homemade using Testors decal paper. I couldn't get a nice single number from the Testors sheets to go on the door behind each front wheel. So I ended up hand painting those.
They are A LOT of fun to play with just one patrol of 3 Pumas....excited to try 13 of them on the field at once. Maybe..one day...I can try full the full Monty of 19 Pumas!